Thursday, August 25, 2011

Feeding Frenzy!

My dear friend Farbie's baby girl was exactly the Jungle Cub's age now when PJ was born.  Therefore, she has been one of my trusted sources and a tremendous wealth of information and insight to me over the course of the last 8 months.

One such area was that of solids.  I remember Farbie telling me that she found introducing solids to be frustrating and quite possibly up to that point THE most difficult thing she's encountered as a new mother.  Having to wait a few days to make sure no allergies were present...how much is enough...is it okay to introduce fruits before veggies...what is this 'cereal' stuff...when to feed her...when does she eat solids more than once a day...what new things to introduce this week...what CAN'T she have yet...the questions were endless.  I was curious because I had every intention of making the Jungle Cub's food myself from the get-go and wondered how I would handle the same challenges.

At first, it was no big deal...how hard is it to make smashed up bananas or guacamole once a day?  But then, the Jungle Cub began her quest of mobility and needed not only constant entertainment but supervision as well.  And then it was time to start introducing new items which required much more work in the kitchen.  Sure, I could have prepared things during nap time or on a lazy Sunday afternoon (as if that exists anymore!), but by the time things were ready to go, her growls erupted from her room.  Not to mention my planning was off...things need to be a certain ripeness and that did not necessarily mesh with my weekly shopping trip to the store.  Yes, I could plan ahead, make a large batch and freeze things, but that is a whole other post in itself!  And we all know that if I don't have a system in place and it's organized, well...all hell could break loose!

So needless to say, I haven't yet mastered the balance of preparing her food with my shopping and therefore I do rely heavily on the prepared foods that many other little ones eat.  I still have the desire to prepare her food and have been trying to implement homemade with store bought.  Probably, by the time I have it down, she'll be old enough to eat normal food anyway...ohhhhhh, a mother's job is never done!

I will let my angel star tell you how she feels about her feedings because honestly, some days she takes me from zero to 67 with her strong opinions of likes and dislikes and we certainly butt heads.  I guess this is good practice for the terrible teens...

The Jungle Cub explains:

Not someone that you want to mess with...literally...

"Most days, I like eating.  I do have quite the sweet tooth and enjoy more of the fruitier flavors in the world.  I like vegetables too, especially sweet potatoes and green beans.  Sometimes, I'll get lucky and Gentle Lion and Jungle Cat will give me a quick sample of the things they are eating...this has been happening more often which is pretty wicked.

Some days, I like to be a little difficult and arch my back trying to get into my highchair.  Eventually, Jungle Cat gets me strapped in and bribes me with some poofy bites.  I love these because I am now mature enough to feed myself.

Then she disappears to prepare my bowl o'food.  This food is too loose for me to administer with my developing pincer grasp and it requires the use of a spoon.  I try to show Jungle Cat I understand the concept of spoon-feeding, and I forcibly try to take the spoon from her to do it myself but she refuses.  In retaliation, I use my ninja hand blocks to prevent the spoon from coming anywhere near my mouth. This causes me to get food all over my face, hair, hands, and floor.  Her solution is to just keep giving me plastic letter toys or even another spoon to distract me.  Then, if Gentle Lion is home, he will make odd noises which do divert my attention for a second and before I know it, my mouth is filled again!  How annoying!

There are some foods that I like more than others.  However, a few days ago, I literally was on the verge of barfing from the Turkey Veggie dinner I was given.  It was quite possibly the grossest thing I have ever encountered and I gagged and wailed until it was taken away.  If I EVER have to even smell that vomit-enducing garbage again...oh just the thought of it is too much!

Prunes work excellent as War Paint

I do enjoy eating watermelon and banana pieces and some Cheerios.  Because I have this down, I am almost ready to move out of my parents' place...I think I just need to learn how to use the toilet and I'll be golden."





No comments:

Post a Comment