For as long as I can remember, I have LOVED to read. I had every book in the Baby Sitter's Club when I was in elementary school (and even spearheaded a real live BSC at the age of 11 years old...so what if my parents were the only clients...my younger brother our only victim?)
Of course, now as an adult, I engage in much more mature reading. The Twilight Series has its own special shelf in our home, proclaiming my love for Team Edward 4 Ever...please don't judge.
Gentle Lion also enjoys reading, but on a much heavier level with titillating subjects such as brachial plexus blocks and multimodal pain control. Hold your horses ladies and gents...I can get the titles of these books to you later!
It is apparent that the Jungle Cub shares her parents' love of reading and we are thrilled! We have made it part of our everyday activities to read as often as possible. I sometimes get sad thinking that when the Jungle Cub can actually read words, she won't necessarily be learning with good old fashioned books because they will be a thing of the past. However, I can't focus on that now. What's more important is to make sure she has every opportunity to enjoy learning about the world around her.
The Jungle Cub explains:
"If you are curious, my favorite hobby right now is reading. I really enjoy spending reading time with my parents and sometimes I get so excited to find out what's going to happen that I turn the pages too quickly that they can't read fast enough! So, then I have to go back a few pages for them to catch up.
When I was barely a month old, Gentle Lion introduced me to some medical knowledge. Apparently, he read an article that said babies learn at tremendous volumes in their first year. As a result I have stored this information in case any one needs to be put under for minor surgery.
I do take in some lighter reading as well. Usually, I read a few stories when I wake up and throughout the day. For a short period of time, I was involved in a torrid love affair with the guy on the cover of "A Light In The Attic" by Shel Silverstein. Every morning before we would read a few selections, I would get a huge smile on my face and then give him a big smooch. As time when on, we went our separate ways, but we have still remained friends.
![]() |
| Engaging in the sillier stuff with Gentle Lion |
![]() |
| Nighttime ritual with Jungle Cat |
Part of my bedtime routine (unless I fall asleep first!) is to get in at least one round of "Good Night Moon" and "Pajama Time". Surprisingly, I haven't gotten sick of these books yet. I think Jungle Cat may even know them by heart because sometimes, when I glance up at her while she's reading, her eyes are closed. Maybe mothers have a special power that allows them to see with their eyes shut?? Perhaps this is why I get scolded when I am exploring in the kitchen when her back is turned...
| "It is obvious to me that this chicken is NOT the baby bird's mother..." |
But anyway, now that I'm older, I offer my own critique and analysis of the material which can result in some pretty deep conversation with Jungle Cat.
I also make sure to take advantage when any relatives are around. These books may be old hat to my parents, but I can always convince Grandpa Steve to dive into the thrilling best seller "Belly Button Beach".
Reading is so much fun and I can't wait to experience everything out there that is waiting for me!"




Yay for Shel Silverstein!
ReplyDelete