I feel beyond lucky that the Jungle Cub has been spared the common bugs that little kiddos tend to get over this first year. And actually, our family in general has been in relatively good health in 2011 minus a few minor sniffles. **Knock on wood...we still have 13 days left**
Therefore, when the Jungle Cub started losing her appetite, I got concerned. Could it be her teeth? Has she caught a bug at the gym daycare? I didn't receive a solid answer until she decided to share everything she ate with us by showcasing it not only all over her highchair (and clothing, and floor, AND her unsuspecting mother...), but in her diaper as well. No doubt, it was now necessary to build a new skill set in the world of parenting - tending to a sick cub.
We've had our share of bumps, bruises, and scrapes since she has started walking, but those were minor compared to nursing our little one back to health. At first, we debated that we had overfed her. But when the Jungle Cub's activity level came down a few notches and the diapers filled with an unusual substance a few times in a row, we concluded that it was turning into something a little more.
Although, she seems to slowly but surely be getting back to her old self, I think I am still going to call the doctor tomorrow to rule out anything too serious like an ear infection.
**Thanks to everyone I called in a panic, especially Mama Lu!!**
The Jungle Cub explains:
"Last week just wasn't my week. By the time Friday came around, I was just not feeling up to eating really anything except milk. It took me back to the good old days when I was a young infant. Moving into this toddler stage comes with many pluses, but I do miss being so little sometimes.
Before we went to Music Class, I started my trip down the Road of Sickness and left a special present in my diaper for Jungle Cat. Since I hadn't been eating too much and had only been drinking we didn't think too much about it. When we got to music, we sang a few songs and then had craft time and cookies. Again, just not into it...Can you believe I wasn't even interested in a cookie?! Jungle Cat had a worried look on her face considering I have been developing quite the sweet tooth ever since I went to Emerson's birthday and had a taste of cake...which was by far the most spectacular thing I have EVER eaten!
When we returned, all I could stomach were a few blueberries. When snacktime came around, Jungle Cat was determined to make me eat everything in my banana-peach-mango pouch, but I did NOT want it. My tummy was in knots. Out of nowhere, I could feel everything I just ate move its' way back to the open sky. Immediately, I was removed from my highchair and rushed to the sink. Suddenly, I felt a little better. The rest of the day, I just laid low and had a few bites of toast for dinner.
The next day, I still wasn't feeling myself. I found being a couch potato with my parents was very comforting. Not typically my personality, especially in the morning. When my nap came around, it was all too welcome. I still wasn't interested in eating a lot, but by this time Jungle Cat and Gentle Lion were getting me to drink a lot of water.
As the day progressed, I was tooting up a storm and my diapers were almost dragging on the floor because they got so full! Jungle Cat was NOT happy, especially when I felt it necessary to roll onto my belly during the changing.
Luckily, today I started to round the bend. I began to get my usual appetite back (spaghetti for dinner! Yummy!!) as well as my energy. I hope by tomorrow I am feeling 100% better because I am looking forward to hanging out with my friends."
We've had our share of bumps, bruises, and scrapes since she has started walking, but those were minor compared to nursing our little one back to health. At first, we debated that we had overfed her. But when the Jungle Cub's activity level came down a few notches and the diapers filled with an unusual substance a few times in a row, we concluded that it was turning into something a little more.
Although, she seems to slowly but surely be getting back to her old self, I think I am still going to call the doctor tomorrow to rule out anything too serious like an ear infection.
**Thanks to everyone I called in a panic, especially Mama Lu!!**
The Jungle Cub explains:
| A typical day with the Jungle Cub |
"Last week just wasn't my week. By the time Friday came around, I was just not feeling up to eating really anything except milk. It took me back to the good old days when I was a young infant. Moving into this toddler stage comes with many pluses, but I do miss being so little sometimes.
Before we went to Music Class, I started my trip down the Road of Sickness and left a special present in my diaper for Jungle Cat. Since I hadn't been eating too much and had only been drinking we didn't think too much about it. When we got to music, we sang a few songs and then had craft time and cookies. Again, just not into it...Can you believe I wasn't even interested in a cookie?! Jungle Cat had a worried look on her face considering I have been developing quite the sweet tooth ever since I went to Emerson's birthday and had a taste of cake...which was by far the most spectacular thing I have EVER eaten!
When we returned, all I could stomach were a few blueberries. When snacktime came around, Jungle Cat was determined to make me eat everything in my banana-peach-mango pouch, but I did NOT want it. My tummy was in knots. Out of nowhere, I could feel everything I just ate move its' way back to the open sky. Immediately, I was removed from my highchair and rushed to the sink. Suddenly, I felt a little better. The rest of the day, I just laid low and had a few bites of toast for dinner.
The next day, I still wasn't feeling myself. I found being a couch potato with my parents was very comforting. Not typically my personality, especially in the morning. When my nap came around, it was all too welcome. I still wasn't interested in eating a lot, but by this time Jungle Cat and Gentle Lion were getting me to drink a lot of water.
As the day progressed, I was tooting up a storm and my diapers were almost dragging on the floor because they got so full! Jungle Cat was NOT happy, especially when I felt it necessary to roll onto my belly during the changing.
| Having some applesauce and feeding myself! |
Oh, sweet Jungle Cub, it is no fun being sick! Getting a little bug is Nature's way of suggesting that you might want to slow down for a little bit. Heed her urgings and rest when you can. You've got a couple VERY BIG DAYS ahead and you need your strength! You are growing into a big strong girl and I even think (dare I say it??) that you look a little like your Daddy in that last picture! Love you!
ReplyDelete